We absolutely love Roasted Garlic in our house. There are a lot of recipes that we add roasted garlic to such as pizza, garlic toast, smashed yams/potatoes/sweet potatoes, spaghetti sauce, etc.
Roasted Garlic Ingredients:
- bulb(s) of garlic
- salt and pepper (optional)
- oil (whatever your choice of oil is)
How to Roast Garlic:
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Cut the top off the garlic and place onto either a piece of foil or baking sheet.
- Drizzle the top with the oil and salt and pepper if you are using it.
- If you are using the foil, I tend to put the tops back on top and close up the foil to ensure it is sealed.
- Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes.
- Let cool a bit before removing from skin.
I prefer to have the garlic start to caramelize (brown) which really brings out the flavour of the garlic so I tend to cook mine longer. Depending on how much garlic we have in the house at the time, I will cook anywhere from 1 to 3 bulbs at a time. The ones that are not eaten right away, we store in the fridge.
I have even roasted the garlic on the bbq but you have to be cautious of the heat – they tend to burn on mine if I am not careful.
You can peel away some of the white papery skin around the bulbs. I have never been one to do so but I would assume it would make it easier to get the garlic out. I also tend to cut a good portion of the top off. This helps ensure that all the tops are cut off and I find it makes it easier to get the roasted garlic out of the tops. When removing the garlic from the bulb, I tend to hold the garlic still in foil in an oven mitt and use a butter knife to pluck them out.